Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Things have been quite hectic around here.

I made this drawing:
fox and yarn web

And this one:
debby herbenick final web
And some more, but they are secrets.

In other business news, I decided my skin had once again become thick enough to try looking for an illustration agent (this happens about once a year or every two years). It has been a pretty rocky road on my way to getting an agent. It is more or less nothing but rejection, which can be kind of hard to take. I usually end up crawling back into my hole to nurse my ego, and to try to continue getting by on my own. I know all it takes is that one person who really loves my work, and who is in the right place to take on a new client, but I just haven't come across that person yet. I try to tell myself that the rejection I am getting isn't (usually) a direct blow to my craft, but is usually more of a personal taste issue. When I think of it that way I feel a bit better.

In personal news, Virginia turned one!

DSC_0812
Personalized cupcake stand from Vessels and Wares.

DSC_0810
Party hat tutorial on Oh, Happy Day!

DSC_0820

DSC_0866

DSC_0870

DSC_0921

It was a really lovely day, and a pretty successful party.

Maybe later I will tell you about the pumpkin eating dinosaur we saw today ...

8 comments:

Conduit Press said...

i LOVE that cupcake stand! it's just too cute. And as for the agent, you're right, it just take that one person to fall in Love with you- you'll find them, and until then, we'll pick you back up. you're amazing. don't forget that.

Candice Hartsough McDonald said...

Thank you Talia, that really means a lot!

jenny elkins said...

such a cute party! I hope Virginia enjoyed it.

Are there any midwest agents? Chicago?

Little White Paw said...

Happy birthday Virginia! Love the party hats and decorations! The cupcake stand is great! Hope she likes being a one year old and enjoyed the cake!

I think you'll definitely find an agent if you keep looking. You have a cohesive body of work and your own unique style and that should be attractive to an agent. Good luck with that!

Farmgirl Susan said...

Your illustrations are all so wonderful Candice! They always make me smile. I LOVE the fox in the sheep sweater - maybe even more than I love the original cupcake cat I bought from you. :)

Will he be showing up for sale in some way soon?

P.S. Congratulations on being so booked up with holiday orders. The holiday bunny card is darling. Thank you!

Candice Hartsough McDonald said...

Hello, Farmgirl! I actually JUST sold the Fox in Sheep Clothing original, shoot! I have a few new original pieces that I will add into my shop after the holidays (including one of a very fluffy sheep stuffed into a too-small sweater).

Farmgirl Susan said...

Hey Candice,
Thanks for letting me know. Bummer - but I'm sure he went to a loving home. Can't wait to see your new pieces, especially anything to do with sheep! :)

I'm already signed up for an e-mail alert when you reopen your etsy shop. In the meantime, thank you for creating such wonderful illustrations. Happy Holidays!

Farmgirl Susan said...

LOL, I just remembered I have a blue sweater that looks almost exactly like this fox's - complete with one black sheep. :)