Sunday, March 13, 2011

This year I am really looking forward to sleeping. I feel I have not had a decent 8-hour sleep in well over a year, and I would like to do that again. I am someone who does not function well on anything less than 8 hours, and yet since last January I have been getting up 2-3 times a night either to (a)pee (when I was pregnant), or (b) feed a baby (now that I am no longer pregnant). I am looking forward to the baby sleeping 12 hours a night, but I think that might be a fable that other parents tell you so that you feel like your kid is just doing the 3-4-6 hour stretch as a way to torture you. Every night I go to bed thinking, "Ok, maybe TONIGHT she'll sleep all the way until 6am ... maybe?" But no. We normally do something like 2am, 5am, then 7am when Brandon is getting ready for work and we're like, "OK I guess we'll just get up now, too."

Also, this is the year for throwing caution to the wind. I'm still planning on getting a studio outside of the home, which is sort of a risk for me. Will I get new business, or dig myself a hole paying all that rent? Which is even scarier now that Brandon is moving closer and closer to having his own freelance career (which will kick in sometime this year, most likely within the next month or two). And also, bangs? Will I get bangs? On Tuesday I just might do it, and then I will probably spend the rest of the year growing them out. That sounds like a fun project. I'm noticing something about myself lately, and that is I am so afraid of regretting something that I end up not doing it. For some reason the feeling of longing to do something is easier for me to deal with than beating myself up over something I did but that's not working. I need to stop doing this! I only have one life ... I should live it! I should cut my hair!

DSC_0699

This was taken yesterday on one of the most beautiful days, ever. Virginia and I tagged along while Brandon met with a client, and we walked up and down Mass Ave. window shopping. Then we came back home and sat in the yard. It was so nice to be outside.

See the necklace I am wearing? I got the idea from a couple places online, but sort of tweaked it for my own tastes. It's a necklace specifically for Virginia to chew on, but it still looks pretty for me! We both love it.

Also I made this for her today:

DSC_0707

I probably should have been working on something else (read: doing the dishes), but I will call this product research. I think I will make a whole line of bugs for babies! There is a rattle hidden inside, and the antenna make crinkle sounds!

DSC_0717

They are friends now.

9 comments:

Joseph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nichol Brinkman said...

your little girl is so sweet. I think you should go for bangs----it's funny, I do the same thing as you in regards to bangs. I never get them, and then I feel like such a chicken. Do the bangs. Bang it up!

The bug idea is great! Bugs for babies! I love that they have crinkly antennas.

I hope you get some sleep. I finally started getting some after co-sleeping, something I swore I would never do. Now it's kind of nice, but I worry about the day when I have to start the transition of him sleeping on his own.

Anywho, good luck!

ps that was me as joseph above (I forgot he was signed in).

Conduit Press said...

LOVE those bugs- totally want one!!! They'll be a HIT!

You should cut your bangs- if you don't like em, hair always grows back, that's what I say. I spent my whole life with hair down to my butt, afraid to cut it, afraid what I would look like, then after I had Griffin, chop chop chop and I never looked back;)

you're awesome;)

Anne said...

Haha - I recognize the worry/anxiety of nursing mother hormones! Chalk up all the back-and-forth debating in your mind to giving Miss Virginia the very best start in life...as a lovely, healthy, roly-poly chubwub.

Candice Hartsough McDonald said...

@Nichol: Yes, co-sleeping is a big help! We kind of half-way do it; I put her to bed in her crib, and then when she wakes up the first time I usually just take her into our bed and keep her there. Mostly because I fall asleep halfway through nursing her, lol. And I'm totally gonna bang it up!

@Talia: Thanks for the encouragement! I didn't know you had such long hair before! I've never been very scared about cutting off length (I had super short hair in high school, almost to my butt in college, then chopped it all off again at some point), but the bangs are just scary for some reason! I'm going to do it, though.

We took the bug on a test run out of the house today. Success!

Little White Paw said...

Love the bug! I've been plotting to make my little one a lady bug and caterpillar. I've also been wanting to make a teething necklace too...not enough hours in the day. I like the crinkle idea in the bugs antenna. I have some crinkly stuff that I was going to use in a little round lion's head that she can play with... not a full stuffed animal... just a face.

Every babies different with the whole sleeping schedule thing, but recently mine went from waking up at 3, 5, and 7am to just waking up once a little before wake up time. Of course, the good sleeping at night means less napping during the day, which can be tiring too. Who knows if she'll even keep this schedule. Hopefully you'll be getting more rest soon. Though taking care of a baby all day is tiring in and of itself!

Candice Hartsough McDonald said...

Yeah, Virginia used to sleep through till 6 or 7am, but she suddenly decided she needs to get up at least twice. Oh well! A few days in the last week she's gone back to sleep after her 7am wakeup, and we have a good sleep in till 9:30! I think it's due to daylight savings time, but I'll take it!

styledindy said...

Hey it's jon from united! That bug is really awesome! I didn't know you had a baby, she's adorable! Congrats!

Candice Hartsough McDonald said...

Hey, Jon! Thanks!! Glad to hear from you!