Friday, March 25, 2011

I think Virginia may have read my last blog post. Since Daylight Savings Time began, she's been sleeping in till at least 8 (yay, she got tricked!). But in the last week she has been bypassing her 2am wake-up ... I'm able to get about 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep! Well it's interrupted by a 6am panic wake-up "WAIT, why hasn't the baby cried yet??" But when I calm myself back down to sleep it is awesome. Then we lay around in bed till 8 or 9 or so. IT'S AMAZING! I think it's because she is starting to eat baby food more consistently these days. The baby food: it's a good thing!

This has to be the busiest spring I have ever experienced, I think. Besides the year I had to finish the final artwork for a childrens book, start a new day job, and fix up and move into a new house all in about 2 months time. This year I have FIVE shows lined up (to see which ones, see my "upcoming events" on the right), and I am so excited! But also so stressed. They are mostly spaced 2 weeks apart, so that gives me a bit of time to replenish between shows (and the IHE is off by itself in June). I also have my normal etsy and personal portrait orders to work on (sorry if you are waiting on one from me ...), plus a rather large project that is looming over my head (which I hope is still on, I will be very sad if it should fall through). Oh and also I have this baby, so there's that, too.

Here is an example of a "Value Portrait," which is something new I've added to the portrait business this year:

kara pritchard final web

It's a 5"x7" portrait, characters only, no background. A wash of color is ok. It's a good way to get yourself Cordial-ized but on a budget.

And for your enjoyment, one of the earliest versions of the cat-erpillar, circa 2006:

speed

They've come a long way, huh? Perhaps a celebration is in order for his 5th birthday.

*edit*
Someone asked me the backstory of the cat-erpillars. Here is all I could come up with:

"Honestly, I can't really tell you how he started. I remember drawing him in my sketch book, but I was also drawing more "normal" caterpillars and cats around the same time. Not sure if someone suggested it to me, or if the progression was just natural. His beginnings are a mystery, just like him."

*edit #2*

Here is a picture of the very first cat-erpillar stuffie, also circa 2006. Yay!

cat-erpillar stuffed animal

They are so much better now, right? yes.

2 comments:

howtospellrock said...

are you moving candice? this is the first i've heard of this? i'm confused!

Candice Hartsough McDonald said...

Nope, I meant when we moved 3 years ago to the new house. THAT was certainly a busy spring! This one may top it, though. :D