Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My time as a library page is now over. I really loved that job. Sure, I would grumble and complain about having to get up and go somewhere for 8 hours, only to come home to be too tired to work my "main job" as illustrator. I would sometimes get really bored when we were all caught up with shelving and I had to find other things to keep myself busy. And my paycheck? Although the regularity of it was comforting, the amount of it was kind of a joke. But even still, I think it was one of the best, if not THE best, job I've ever had. At my last job, I was a retail manager, which meant lots of responsibility. But a page? Doesn't have a lot of responsibility. Sure, it's very important for the library books to be in the correct order. But I had little to no contact with patrons, which I enjoyed a great deal. Sorry, patrons. I helped you when I could, but since I do not have a masters in library science, I could only look up things in the catalog about as good as you could.

Here is a small snippet of a large spread I did for Ladybug magazine just a couple of weeks ago, for a story about a children's library. Appropriate? Yes.

library thumb

But now, after a year and a half, my time there is over. I can't really even believe it. Now I'm on to a new phase of life. As long as it is financially feasible for our family, I will be a stay-at-home-mom. And a work-from-home-mom. This is crazy, but exciting. It's something I've wanted for a long time, and now it's almost here. We've now entered the "waiting game." I want her to stay in there another couple of weeks, but I guess we'll see how it goes!

36 weeks 2
(We're almost ready for you, but not quite.)

No comments: