Sunday, August 22, 2010

I've wanted to show you how my portraits progress from beginning to end.

First of all, people send me pictures of who and what they want to see in the final portrait. Here are Robin and Zered from my latest project:

robin and zered4

Usually I get tons and tons of pictures of each person in different positions and in different environments which helps me get a really good idea of what they look like.

In an email, Robin told me what sorts of things she and Zered like to do together. They enjoy cooking, their adorable pet cat, Berlioz, and are obsessed with beer.

robin sketch

After Robin told me she thought the sketch looked good, I went ahead and started working on filling in the water color. (I meant to scan the image at this point, but I totally forgot!)

After the watercolor is done I go back over everything with mechanical pencil.

robin final web

Tada!

2 comments:

jenny elkins said...

so creative! Seems everyone likes BEER!

Candice Hartsough McDonald said...

I know! There was beer in the last one, too!