Wednesday, June 2, 2010

And now for something completely different:

I will give you a recipe! Well a recipe of sorts. Really just a list of ingredients for you to pick and choose and throw into a bowl and probably have tasty results.

I give you Strawberry Raspberry Blackberry Ginger Mint Sorbet! (or SRBGM Sorbet.)

sorbet

1 package strawberries, hulled (my package was 16 oz)
1 package raspberries (my package was 6 oz)
1 package blackberries (my package was 6 oz, although I ended up throwing most of them out because they were rotten. Dang, Kroger. Dang.)
Finely chopped mint (approximately 1 tablespoon*)
Freshly grated ginger root (1 tablespoon?)
1 cup of water (I used a little more than a cup)
1 cup of sugar

1. Place all berries in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pass berry mixture through a mesh sieve to remove seeds (if you so desire ... I didn't feel like it, and it's fine. Just a bit seedy).

2. Bring water to a boil. Add mint and ginger. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.

3. Take off heat and add berry mixture. Allow to cool.

4. You can make this in an icecream maker if you have one. I do not. So I put it in the freezer and stir every hour or so. It takes 4+ hours to sufficiently freeze.

5. EAT AND ENJOY!!

*I found it to be not quite as minty as I was hoping. Probably either adding more mint would help, or maybe just simmer the water for awhile with the mint? I'm not sure. Yesterday was my first day making it, so I haven't done any experimenting yet. Also next time I make it I will probably cut back on the sugar. I based this off of a bunch of different recipes, and most of them called for 1 1/4 cup of sugar, but I still thought 1 cup was a little too sweet. But maybe I'm just weird.

Next time I'm going to try ginger peach sorbet! Can't wait!

1 comment:

John M said...

YUM. I made frozen yogurt the other day. Yogurt, banana, apricots, zapped in blender then thrown overnight in the freezer. The result was hard but tasty; I danced and sang the "I rule" song :)

Your version sounds great, I'll try that next.