Saturday, November 14, 2009

i started this post weeks ago and am finally finishing and posting it

I am finally sitting down to write the post about my Adventures in Book Signing.

candice and elizabeth
Here is me with Elizabeth Shreeve, the author of Oliver at the Window. She is such a nice wonderful person, and I'm so glad I got to meet her! We spent some time wandering around the Indianapolis Museum of Art one day, and I really felt like I had known her for a long time, and that we were old friends catching up.

Last Thursday we went to the Day Nursery at Ft. Harrison. Elizabeth spent some time talking to the kids about her inspiration for the book, and then talked about how she wrote it. She taught them how to come up with the key elements of a story. What do you need? Characters who have a problem, and who then find a solution. The kids came up with some really fun stuff, including a princess and a dinosaur whose pet spider went outside the gate and got lost and they had to find him again, and a bear who was terrorizing a snail and a lion, so they had to chase him off to Colorado.

The next day we went to the International School to visit the 2nd graders. They were great! We had a bit of a slide presentation, read the story, and then I showed them how to draw some characters from the book. They were super excited to see me draw things before their eyes, and even though they were about 7 years old it was a good feeling to have so many people say "wow! you're good at drawing!"

That, in a nut shell, was my first school visit adventure. We also did a couple signings at some independent book stores in Indianapolis (Mudsock Books and Kids Ink). By the end of the week I was exhausted, but glad to have learned so much from Elizabeth. I would have been a nervous wreck without her! Maybe now in the future it will be easier for me to get up in front of large groups of children.