Saturday, July 18, 2009

Later today I will be driving to South Bend. And then tomorrow morning I will pile in the car with my family and go to Mackinac Island, Michigan, which I believe is a good 6 hour drive. I'll be leaving Brandon behind, who I will miss very much. But it will feel so good to get away!

Before I leave I have so much to do. Here is a list:

Bank
Post Office
Recycle Center
Make sure mona's food and litter are squared away
Pack
Clean Out Car
Put Bike in Car
Do Dishes
Finish a tiny drawing and scan it
Figure out why the house smells like onions.

Last night I made spanakopita featuring some items from our garden: spinach, basil, and red onion. Probably why the house still smells like onions. They were pretty decent. Not as fantastic as greek restaurant ones, but I think that had something to do with the quality of the phyllo dough. I would imagine an authentic greek restaurant makes its own phyllo, or else has access to better quality than the kind you can buy from Meijer.

I feel like our overgrown garden is making out backyard feel bigger, which is a weird phenomenon.

DSC04896
This is not a good photo to illustrate such, but I still like it.

DSC04891
These are all different kinds of zinnias. Aren't they pretty? And Allison, I actually DID plant these flower seeds, I was so freaking happy when they actually came up and didn't just die. I do not have a very green thumb. Thank god for Brandon's.

DSC04894
We found a baby pumpkin!!

2 comments:

@eloh said...

Have a good time. I'll watch the pumpkin patch while you are gone.

James N. said...

If you need a place to eat on the way north, and pass through Cadillac MI, I highly recommend Timber, it is on Route 115.